Certificate in Foundational Skills & Competence in Counselling & Psychotherapy
The Programme is designed for learners who wish to learn fundamental skills and competencies in counselling & psychotherapy practice. The certificate is an ideal introduction to the world of counselling and psychotherapy, offering participants the opportunity to explore this growing profession in Ireland.
It serves as an excellent introduction to the area of counselling and teaches general counselling skills that will benefit people in both their personal and professional lives. This programme is suitable for those who wish to study both Counselling and Psychotherapy at a foundational level, either to support existing roles or as a point of initial discovery as to whether or not a Major Award might be something that they wish to pursue.
Award Title: Certificate in Foundational Skills & Competence in Counselling & Psychotherapy – QQI Level 6 (20 ECTS)
Duration: 12 Weeks
Tuition Fees: €1,250
Start Date: Sept 2021
Why choose this Programme?
The overall aims of the Certificate in Foundational Skills & Competence in Counselling & Psychotherapy are to:
- Provide quality assured undergraduate Minor Award in Counselling and Psychotherapy related skills and competence for students who seek to develop foundational level knowledge and competence in counselling related skills
- Commence an educational journey with a view to subsequent study in programmes that would lead to eligibility for professional accreditation.
- Provide a programme that, through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary engagement, models best evidence-informed skills in the fields of Counselling which is well informed by psychotherapeutic theories.
- Demonstrate heightened awareness of theoretical and applied practices in Counselling related fields.
- Enable students to employ foundational counselling competencies by creating and modelling learning opportunities where learners can participate successfully within the context of their own strengths and abilities.
- Provide opportunities to engage in personal reflection to enhance knowledge and greater awareness of the competencies required for professional practice.
- Provide access routes to major awards in Higher Education in counselling related areas.
Participants take two modules to complete this programme
|Module Name||Aim of Module||
|Theoretical Perspectives in Counselling & Psychotherapy||The aim of this module is to introduce a range of theories central to counselling and psychotherapy placing them in their social, cultural, philosophical, and historical contexts.
|Essential Counselling & Psychotherapeutic Skills||The aim of this subject is to teach students the attributes and foundation skills necessary to work and understand their role in areas of practice such as Counselling & Psychotherapy.
The knowledge, skills, and competence required to successfully participate in and complete the Programme are outlined below:
- All applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants will be required to have basic IT literacy, skills, and competence,
- For non-native speakers of English, a C score in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL) or an equivalent IELTS score of 6.0 is required.
- Utilises “Blended Learning”
- Benchmarked against European Association of Counselling Training Standards (2015)
- Designed for learners who wish to develop their counselling and psychotherapy skills for both personal and professional development.
- Successful completion of this programme means the participant will have completed 20 ECTS on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Course fees are €1,250 which is payable in full in advance of course commencement. Payment can be made by PayPal or EFT.
This course is specifically designed for HSE staff at Newcastle Hospital, Co.Wicklow. This course will support participants to enhance their knowledge around competencies and skills as Clinical SuperviseesFIND OUT MORE
This course is specifically designed for HSE staff at Newcastle Hospital, Co.Wicklow. This course will support participants to enhance their knowledge around competencies and skills used in Clinical SupervisionFIND OUT MORE
This course is specifically designed for nominated Psychologists in the South Eastern region working with the HSE in Community Healthcare. This course will support participants to enhance their knowledge around competencies used in Cognitive Behavioural Counselling & Psychotherapy.FIND OUT MORE