1 to 2 Years
€6,050 – €7,050
Clinical supervision is an emerging area of cross disciplinary practice in a range of different professional disciplines, especially health and social care areas of practice. Professional supervision is increasingly being recognized as a necessary support structure that is mandated in a range of professions including Social Work, Social Care, Psychology, Childcare, Youthwork, Nursing, Psychotherapy, and Counselling etc. The M.A in Clinical Supervision has been specifically designed for those who want to gain a nationally and internationally recognised qualification in this area to prepare them to provide professional clinical supervision at a higher level, especially to graduate disciplines such as those referred to above.
Within the programme, participants will study principles of supervision in professional practice, the practice and process of supervision, models of clinical supervision including developmental & integrative models. You will also study evidence based practice and research methods and design. The MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice combines both theory and practical skills in a way that is designed to develop your competency and professional knowledge allowing you to work in the field of clinical supervision at Master’s level.
The course was revised in 2015 and is validated by Quality and Qualification Ireland (QQI), who have overall responsibility for the quality of 3rd level academic programmes in Ireland. The course commences each September and can be taken on a full time or part-time basis. It is delivered across two twelve week semesters using a combination of classroom based teaching as well as some modules that are ‘blended’. Blended learning combines face to face and web based teaching.
The fees for the programme are €6,050 (Full -Time option completed over 1 year) or €7,050 (Part time option completed over 2 years). Students can pay in instalments and all fees are fully protected under our Protection of Enrolled Learners’ Policy.
All QQI accredited programmes of education and training of 3 months or longer duration are covered by arrangements under section 65 (4) of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 whereby, in the event of the provider ceasing to provide the programme for any reason, enrolled learners may transfer to a similar programme at another provider, or, in the event that this is not practicable, the fees most recently paid will be refunded
How can I complete this Course?
Students studying the MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice can take this course on either a full-time or part-time basis.
The full-time programme normally runs on 1 evening per week (Tuesday or Wednesday) from 6pm to 10pm and most Saturdays across each Semester. Please refer to timetables for exact times and dates. Some teaching will take place on a face to face basis while some modules will involve a combination of both face – to – face and on line learning. Both the full time and part time options are structured into twelve week semesters – The taugh components of the programme run in the first two Semesters (Semester 1 is from September to December and Semester 2 runs from January to April). The dissertation and Practicum Modules continue through a third Semester from June to August)
For those who opt for the part time programme over 2 years, all taught modules would normally be completed in year 1 and the 2nd year is spent completing the practicum and dissertation modules
Structure of Course
The course covers a range of subjects which when taken together provide a syllabus designed to develop competent professional practitioners. The subjects covered are designed to be both practical and theoretical as per the table below:
|MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice|
|Principles of Supervision in Professional Practice|
|The Practice & Process of Supervision|
|Psychotherapeutic Models of Clinical Supervision|
|Developmental Models of Clinical Supervision|
|Integrative Models of Clinical Supervision|
|Evidence Based Practice & Research|
|Research Methods and Design|
|Total Credits 90|
How will I be assessed?
At ICHAS we assess students work using a wide range of assessment approaches from project work, to practical exercises, essays and terminal assessments
What supports will I have?
ICHAS has a proven record of delivering high quality higher education programmes at different Levels. All lecturers and staff are committed to student centred approaches. Each Module Leader is designated as the personal tutor for their Module and they provide feedback which is inclusive of both formative and summative feedback to every student. The Academic Administration and Programme Co-ordinators and Placement Co-ordinator guide and support all students with their academic work. Teaching and Learning resources are also made widely available to students through Moodle.
Within the Masters programme the two most highly weighted modules are the Practicum and Dissertation modules. On both these Modules you will be supported with a dedicated Practicum Supervisor as well as an Academic supervisor for the dissertation.
Who Awards My Qualification?
On successful completion of the programme, your qualification is awarded by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI). QQI is one of the principal Irish academic awarding bodies for higher level education in Ireland and it sets the award standards for qualifications on the NFQ. The qualification you receive is recognised both in Ireland and internationally. See www.qqi.ie for further information.
Where Can I progress to on completion of the course?
On successful completion of the M.A in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice, students will be qualified to access Level 10 programmes on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
What are the entry requirements for this course?
To join the MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice programme, applicants must meet the following requirements;
- A minimum of a second class honours degree (2.2) at Level 8, or its equivalent in a related discipline. The nature of the programme allows for the consideration of candidates from a variety of backgrounds. Those with relevant experience will also be considered through APL/RPL. Applicants are also required to complete a short interview. All applicants are expected to be fluent and competent in both written and spoken English. In the case of overseas applications, students will have to provide certification of competency in English indicating a minimum score of 6.5 IELTS. Applicants are required to :
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Complete and submit the completed application form <download here>and provide all requested information.
- Complete an interview process, which is designed to explore your reasons for taking the programme and to ensure that it is suitable for your needs. ICHAS is committed to ensuring that the programme you are on is right for you.
- Complete the Garda vetting procedure.
If you have any queries in relation to this course then please contact the college on 061 216288 or email us on email@example.com where we will be only too pleased to assist you.
The need for as well as the value of Clinical Supervision is becoming increasingly recognized as an area of support for a range of practitioners in a variety of employment sectors including Education, Health Care, Psychology, Justice, Counselling and Psychotherapy etc.
Potential for application of the competencies acquired from this programme as well as employment for graduates can be viewed across a range of domains of practice in public and private practice areas, which would include work in/with staff who work in the following sectors:
- The HSE, across a range of care settings and at primary, secondary and tertiary care levels.
- The education sector, including primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
- The voluntary sector in areas such as dealing with life crises,in addition to more traditional areas.
- The social care sector, supporting the needs of a range of people in various different contexts.
- Within the justice and legal system working with staff whose work brings them into contact with young offenders, repeat offenders and those at risk of engagement in criminality.
- Employee assistance programmes.
- Specialist support services to or within human resource departments.
- General private medical/health practice.
- Counsellors/Psychotherapists in specialist areas including eating disorders, schizophrenia, palliative care, bereavement, anger /conflict resolution and other related areas that would also would benefit from a programme at this level focusing on counselling and clinical supervision.
The MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice offers a logical progression route for academic development in this area of study, which in turn should enhance the employment or career progression prospects of graduates. Graduates will also be qualified to access Level 10 Programmes on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
The MA in Clinical Supervision in Professional Practice has many features that make it one of the leading programmes of this type in Ireland, these include:
- This programme is part of a suite of programmes that have been recently re-validated by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), ensuring up to date teaching methods, programme content and quality.
- It is delivered by lecturers who work in this field, who are passionate about your education and dedicated to sharing their experience and expertise.
- It is recognised internationally, and on completion you will receive the Europass Diploma Supplement in addition to your degree parchment.
- It mixes theory and practice together to provide a complete understanding of the areas.
- This course has a progression route to PHD and doctorate level.
- It is recognised widely by employers, opening opportunities to graduates in a range of different areas.
- The course uses both classroom based and blended learning techniques. This allows the learner to access classes in person or using on-line facilities to allow for a better work/life/study balance. In certain modules attendance may be a requirement.